Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Bully fanatic » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Of course handle bars are not needed on such a fine machine as a :Bultaco: Sherpa T. They are best controlled by your mind. All :Bultaco: riders have superbly trained minds which can concentrate intensely thus allowing an owners mind to control the motorcycle easily. OH LOOK A POSSUM!!!!!!! :roll:

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Queensland Twinshock Classic and ACM titles at Stanthorpe

Postby David Lahey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:05 pm

It's getting close now and my thoughts drifted to previous trials I've ridden in cold places (for those who don't know, Stanthorpe is the coldest place in Queensland and August is the coldest month and I'm a softie who lives a long way north of there where I can't remember a frost at home in the 22 years I've lived here)
I've driven down and ridden a few of the fabulous annual Denman 2-day trials which are always held in June.
One time it snowed on the drive down - that was also the time a huge ship washed ashore in Newcastle harbour and the Hunter river flooded and some people from Sydney couldn't get to the trial due to the flooding.
Another time it was so cold on the first morning of the trial that there was still frost on the grass when we started riding at 10AM. I think that was also the year I rode with forks that felt like they had treacle inside. I had been experimenting in all sorts of ways with the TY250 forks on my TY175 and at the time had (light) gearbox oil in the forks (Castrol VMX80). The fork action was great up at home in the heat, but terrible when it got really cold at Sandy Hollow.
The other time I revealed my ignorance about colder climes was when I rode one of the NSW Twinshock titles (the one at the Chapman's place at Giants Creek) After the trial I slept in my van, planning for a very early start on the 18 hour drive home. At about 4 or 5AM I woke up and soon discovered that the windscreen was fully iced and I couldn't see a thing. Being a novice at such things I tried throwing water on it, which just froze and added to the problem. The wipers just skimmed over the top. I definitely wasn't thinking clearly because next I ran the wipers and threw water at the same time. I stupidly threw the water from the side and the wipers threw icy water back at me. At least it did eventually clear the ice off the windscreen. Afterwards a friend from down there told me that they carry a spray bottle of metho in the car for such an occasion.
Guess what I'm taking to Stanthorpe with me?

relax, nothing is under control

sybella
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Honda

Postby sybella » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:48 am

Hopefully a twin shock trials bike Dave

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:55 am

sybella wrote:Hopefully a twin shock trials bike Dave

Oh yeah!
Which one do you reckon?

sybella
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Honda

Postby sybella » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:00 am

At a rough guess , wouldn't be surprised if you turn up on a pre 65 classic Bultaco

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:28 am

David, just to clear one thing: no glass defrost system in your van ? Not even to defog them ?

Guy

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:36 am

Even I have moved upmarket David. I now camp under a Gazebo thingy instead of under a cheap blue tarp. I`m thinking I might have to put more than one wall on my gazebo though. I`ll still be sleeping on the ground though! :P

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:28 am

Guy53 wrote:David, just to clear one thing: no glass defrost system in your van ? Not even to defog them ?

Guy

There is the defog system powered by the air-con and the cabin heater that blows dry warm air on the inside of the windscreen. From a sub-zero cold start, it would take quite a while with of the engine running to get the engine coolant hot enough for it to thaw the ice on the outside of the windscreen, and I was trying to avoid waking my friends up inside their house I was parked near.
There is only electrically-heated glass in the rear windows which is pretty feeble but better than nothing

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:31 am

Bully fanatic wrote:Even I have moved upmarket David. I now camp under a Gazebo thingy instead of under a cheap blue tarp. I`m thinking I might have to put more than one wall on my gazebo though. I`ll still be sleeping on the ground though! :P

Yes it would be good to stop the breeze in the gazebo. It will be interesting to see if there is ice on your face in the morning

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:32 am

sybella wrote:At a rough guess , wouldn't be surprised if you turn up on a pre 65 classic Bultaco

Can such a thing exist in Australia?

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”