Show us a picture of your Twinshock

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Re: Show us a picture of your Twinshock

Postby sharvie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:53 pm

Gravy,

Go ahead, I would love to hear the mods

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

Gravy
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Vertigo/Fantic
Club: DMCC

Postby Gravy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:52 am

As requested by Sharvie, mods/new parts so far. EVO seat/tank unit from classictrial UK, Billet top triple clamp from thetwinshockshop UK(moves bars into a more modern position), S3 adjustable fatbar clamps, Renthal fatbars, Domino quick action throttle, Standard levers with a modified bend, Clutch lightening mod(clutch arm extended by 15mm) and anti judder kit(OEM Honda parts), S3 bar ends, S3 titanium header pipe, Jitsie carbon header pipe guard, Repositioned S3 Hardrock footpegs, Talon sprockets(cant remember no. of teeth), S3 snailcams, 410mm Rockshocks(changes the steering head angle slightly), HFS front suspension kit which comprises an air cartridge in the right leg and adjustable spring preload in the left leg, modified damper rods to improve oil flow with 2.5w fork oil. Currently running the standard carb with #40 pilot and #112 main. Only requires about half choke to start so going to try a #38 pilot, revs freely all the way to the stop. As I said in the previous post have had it running on an OKO which improved the throttle response and pickup heaps. Still running tube type tyres, IRC currently which are very soft and tacky. I also removed all of the road rego wiring harness, only the essentials left. I think that pretty much covers it. I get asked why a lot when I also own a modern bike, the reason is I still love riding the old stuff and pushing them to see what they are capable of. I also get just as much pleasure out of building as I do riding.

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:01 pm

Sounds very nice.

The Barnette clutch plates also improve clutch function.

Would love to know how well that HFS setup performs.

Nice work!

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

hondatrials
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TLR 250

Postby hondatrials » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:31 pm

Nice work!
I second the Barnett clutch plates!
How does the front feel forks feel with the HFS setup?
:Honda:

Gravy
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Gravy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:11 am

I got onto the HFS kit when a fellow rider at the club purchased a kit for his Bultaco. There are three versions available as follows from cheapest kit to most expensive. Dual adjustable spring preload (both legs), Adjustable spring preload and air cartridge (my kit), and dual air cartridge. Once ordered you receive a measurements sheet to fill out and send back so that the kit you have ordered can be tweaked if necessary so it fits your bike exactly. He also supplies very in-depth instructions for fitting. They are of a very high quality regards to workmanship. The kit itself works very well, however suspension is very much a personal thing and has many dictating factors. I have added an extra preload spacer to the spring side as I am at maximum adjustment on the fork cap. Not an issue as he also supplies these spacers on request in varying lengths, I just chose to make my own. The other issue is that the fork cap has to be removed to adjust spring preload(no external adjusting mechanism) although annoying when getting it all setup once done you don't touch it again. If I was to order another kit I would add 10-15kg to my rider weight as the kits are setup for that classic feel not a modern feel. The biggest issue I had was the damper units in the TLR's forks. The reflex model is made for road work with its tiny holes to allow oil flow and the valves in the fork caps. The damper rods are very primitive in design, a piston with a single Teflon seal and 3 x holes in the rod to allow oil flow. I have drilled the holes out in the damper rod taking 3 x attempts of increasing diameter to get the action I was after. They are now drilled out to 5mm running 180ml of 2.5w fork oil. The kit cost me $340 delivered to my door from Spain, and all up about a days work in setup. Hope this helps, happy to answer questions if there is something else you want to know.
Cheers Caddy.
PS: sounds like I have to get some Barnett clutch plates.

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:11 pm

My TLR referb is progressing along.
Attachments
IMG_1066 (2).JPG
IMG_1066 (2).JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 8984 times
IMG_1183 (2).JPG
IMG_1183 (2).JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 8984 times

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

Gravy
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Gravy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:41 pm

Looking good Steve, are you still on acreage and do you still have a practice area.

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:43 pm

On 2 acres now

Nothing as far as practice areas go

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

OlDaz
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Cota 247

Postby OlDaz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Picture of mine when I got it recently, been spending a lot of time and $$$ finding bits for it for the rebuild.
Attachments
Monty.jpg
Monty.jpg (454.75 KiB) Viewed 7102 times

Still remembering when.....

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Re: New page Show us a picture of your Twinshock

Postby Jools » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:41 pm

David Lahey wrote:For Tim and others to whom I promised updates of my M198 resto. Both wheels and the forks are now done. Yes it's taking a while.

David, on that Bultaco -pictured on page 1 of this thread "show us..."
Are those rear shocks standard on the bully? or are they aftermarket?
Just that the TY250B basket case that just fell into my lap has those same shocks, -they certainly don't look like Yammy ones to me, look too heavily sprung -what are they? :?:

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”