Gear selection for sections

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Beta 80 Senior (2023
Club: TCV

Gear selection for sections

Postby Dr Peter » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 pm

At clubman level first gear is appropriate for most lines however, a constructive criticism of my riding at Argyle this long weekend is I don't always ride fast enough.

Sure I can rev my TY250 in first, but not a lot changes speed wise. It's a pretty low gear. When is second gear a better option?

Peter

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Re: Gear selection for sections

Postby Rod » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Peter, you have pretty much answered your own question! When you're revving the nuts out of it and not gaining any momentum it's time for the next gear, you can change gears mid-section you know?

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi Rod,
I appreciate your input but there is a somewhat nebulous relationship between first and second gear on my old twin shock. It occasionally insists we take a little time to visit, neutral. Not a great place to be mid-section.

Not withstanding my issues is there terrain which suggests to you that second is better to start the section than first?

Peter

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

Postby outforfun » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:32 pm

I have a TY175 and it has 4 neutrals, well seems to haha. Hill climbs and open sections 2nd can be used. If lap 1 you wanted more speed somewhere - start in 2nd on the next lap. After you get to know your bike and how you feel on it, whether you are able to feather the clutch to slow or need more revs. Then you will find the best gear for the sections.

You could ride the surrounding area if you have a good spot similar to the section to get an idea.

Also, ride the obstacles between sections if possible, you become a better rider and can dab as many times as you need without scoring any points.

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:49 pm

I didn't want to lead the conversation but I am wondering if more open loose 'rocky shit' might like 2nd gear more. The sort of place where momentum is key.
Thoughts?

BTW: Have seen TY175s and they seem to run blip, blip, blip and so on. My 250 is much more tractor like. A bit of occasional clutch slippage is enough for the real slow stuff.

YFZ LUKE
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: KTM 530, 290 sherco
Club: Denman + Upperhunter

Postby YFZ LUKE » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:00 am

This weekend I rode our local 2day ,in some sections on my mono 290 I rode in 2nd ,found it to get traction and want to launch , then rode it again in 3rd , with a little more clutch control / abuse ,I found from riding a big bore enduro bike I favoured 3rd as I like to use the clutch a little more to take power away if I'm holding revs on and also allow it to labour the engine a little more.. If that makes sense.. It was also mentioned to me from a couple if extremely skilled and long time riders that "observed " my riding that I was too fast through sections and to use a lower Gear ..they picked I was in 3rd just by watching..so I went back to 2nd and slowed it all down..
Depends a lot on your clutch and throttle control , bike
,and skill if you want to go a higher gear

Terryg
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Terryg » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:40 pm

You may get better torque in second gear as the bike will have less revs.

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone,

In first the TY250 will sustain quite low revs climbing a hill without any clutch slippage or blip, blip, blip, but my left hand is always ready.

Launching is something I am yet to try but I understand the modern 280-290cc bikes are quite explosive in the power delivery. As I said the old Yamaha is quite tractor-like. Modest revs and slip the clutch seem to work for most occasions but sometimes I don't have enough momentum.

I think the best advice I have read here is to just try it out during the second lap if first does not seem enough in some sections in the first lap. BTW It is easier to get the front wheel up quite high in second gear.

Regards all,

Return to “Trials Talk”