newbie, classic trials bike advice-acceptibity

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

skywalker
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: klr,kdx,xl,ct.

newbie, classic trials bike advice-acceptibity

Postby skywalker » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:04 am

Hi, I have wanted to try trials for a while, and am into restoring old dual sports and dirt bikes. Ive already found static balance excercises that are reccomended for trials beginners to be very benificial.
Anyway, my question is, is a 1964 ct200 with a leading link fork-an acceptable basis for building a classic trials bike?
(ct90 and postie ancestor,not the later Ag bike with the same designation. It ceased manufacture in 1965,has a dual rear sprocket).
In the US Scott Kirn built a twinshock trials from a CT90 and there are S90 classics in Britain(directly related bike).
There are some sound technical reasons to consider this,light weight,small wheelbase,geometry,availibility of stock parts etc.
I searched the forum and asked some officials by email before posting this. I did find Hodaka references searching the forum, which suggests the answer could be yes. The official I asked suggested local clubs, Im equidistant btw Oakleigh and Bairnsdale.

Gary Mc
TA Supporter
TA Supporter

Re: newbie, classic trials bike advice-acceptibity

Postby Gary Mc » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:41 pm

I believe the original ct200 meets all of the pre65 criteria but the front suspension and push rod engine are the main drawbacks.
There are also issues of eligibility with the 65 model and later model engines as they are different. You need to use a combination of s90 parts to make the ct200 eligible and “visually “ look the same to meet the pre 65 rules.
Cheers

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:57 pm

I don't know about eligibility, but the leading link forks from a 1964 CT200 would not be pleasant to use in the sort of sections that are used for P65 competition.

For info, here is a photo of an Australian Pre-65 Honda that is regularly seen at competitions. I know it's not based on a CT200 but thought you might not be aware of this bike.
Attachments
IMAG4667.jpg
IMAG4667.jpg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 4733 times

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Here's a photo I just found on Google that might help with explaining what bike you are asking about
Attachments
lv0114-180249_1.jpg
lv0114-180249_1.jpg (77 KiB) Viewed 4733 times

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”