Yamaha Majesty 250 replica frames

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Yamaha Majesty 250 replica frames

Postby David Lahey » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:20 pm

After quite a few years searching I have finally bought a Yamaha Godden 250 Majesty frame kit and am in the process of making up a bike with it.
These frames are very rare in Australia due to the high cost of importation from the UK and popularity of the bikes there.
When made up into a bike using the mechanicals from a donor TY250 twinshock, are a competitive bike for Twinshock competition with the durability and reliability associated with Yamaha trials bikes.
The Majesty frame kits and whole bikes were made in the late 1970s and early 1980s as part of a business venture intended to make use of hundreds of unsold TY250 Yamahas from the late 1970s. The Majesty frames and bikes were developed by well known UK riders John Shirt and Mick Andrews, capitalising on the knowledge gained during Mick's years developing his works Yamaha trials bikes. When the first monoshock Yamaha trials bikes came out, John Shirt's development activity turned to the mono Yamahas and the Majesty saga came to a close. The first range of Majestys used a modified TY250 frame and the later ones had a completely new frame. The Godden frames are the completely new type.
The popularity of Twinshock trials has soared over the past 10 years and with that popularity has come some riders wanting to ride the best bikes available.
Anyway the point of all this is to find out if anyone is interested in having replica frames made of the Godden Majesty. I'm willing to lend my frame to a frame builder so a construction jig can be made for people to have replica frames made. Note that being an exact replica the bike would be eligible for twinshock class competition in Australia even though it would have been manufactured in 2007.
Before the frame builder would have any interest in making replica frames, they would need to be sure that they would be able to sell enough frames to cover the cost of developing the jig. An indicative retail price for an Australian frame maunfacturer making this type of frame (including swingarm) would be somewhere between $2000 and $3000 each.
I expect that there would be very few people in Australia willing to spend that sort of money for a bike frame but a few people have asked me already about getting replicas copied from my frame so it is probably worth asking.
Please let me know ASAP if you have a fair dinkum interest in getting a replica Godden Majesty frame.
I've attached a photo of a 250 Godden framed Majesty for your reference. It has been fitted with TY250N (monoshock TY) forks and wheels.
Attachments
P1010067[1].bmp.JPG

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:38 am

Obviously a very desirable proposition you have put there David! Does the picture indicate the rarity by the security of lock on shed behind the bike!! Maybe there is a Doblerman in the shed too if I was keeping one in there!!

Seriously, the price is going to be a factor, but would be very dear now to find a Majesty bike on the market or to imported from the UK would still be more expensive once here, so converting a TY250 into the new frame would be almost feasible.

I will just watch this with interest for now, as I am still in the process of trying to sell my modern bike and may be tempted when cashed up.

Have you followed up a quote by these guys for manufacture David? They do VMX stuff as found on ozvmx:

Geoff Morris Concepts. Replica Frames and Swingarms, built from heat-treated aircraft grade chrome-moly tubing. Welding repairs to all metals and alloys, including cast magnesium, cast aluminium, and chrome-moly. Expansion Chambers repaired and custome made to any make & model. Alloy fuel tanks repaired, fabrications and modifications.

Phone: (03) 5784 1446
Fax: (03) 5784 1442
Email: geoff@geoffmorrisconcepts.com

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Nathan S
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Nathan S » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:07 pm

Geoff Morris is a good bloke - he'd definitely be the first person I'd call if this project gets off the ground.
As a guide, he charges ~$2700 for his HL500 replica frames, and I've heard him lament that they're a mongrel of a job - my semi-trained mind reckons a Majesty frame would be much easier to build - so if the quantities were high enough, maybe the very lower end of your proposed price range would be reality???
I know he sells a reasonable number of VMX replica frames to overseas buyers, so maybe some international advertisment would be enough to get the project to float?

While I fell in love with the Majesty after reading an article in ADB in 1982 (83?), and they played a big part in sparking my interest in trials, I can't even justify the cost of a standard twin shock TY at the moment... So don't bank on a sale to me... :(

andyfantic
Junior participant
Junior participant

Majesty frames

Postby andyfantic » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:53 pm

Hi David, I just had a bloke come around, and Buy my TY250d($ 1550).Turns out, he lives 10 mins around the corner.He has a desire to get into classic trials, and also has a Triumph Cub, with some sammy Miller Gear. rode an old Sherpa, back in the UK.During the sale, he said some bloke over east is looking out, at building Majesty Frames.I said, it,s a pitty you wern,t here 2 weeks ago.So, I thought I,d better investigate.
I think what you are planning to do, is great. If people take you up on the offer, i can see a lot of deralict TY250s, coming back to life.
I,ve still got the Fantic, to see me through, but I just wish there was a bit more interest here in WA, in the twin shock class.Here, they usually ride Greybeards lines, that is a little tame for myself.Sounds like the classic trials has realy taken off, over East. Good luck next season, Cheers Andy

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:13 am

Andyfantic, did this bloke who bought your TY is called Richard? I may have told him about your bike being for sale?

Andy, have you have read my other post that I have in this forum about resurecting Twinshock and Classic trials in WA for 2007.
You would be welcome to come and ride whatever grade you prefer on the bike of your choice. I dont see a problem with skill and lines ridden, as long as you turn up with a twinshock!

Cheers,
Roger

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

andyfantic
Junior participant
Junior participant

YES CORRECT

Postby andyfantic » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:51 am

Hi Rodger, yes, it was Ritchard.I,ll see if I can make it to a few more trials in 2007.I,m Afraid I,m old school, and laying out so much for a comp liscence, just for club events, and all the necessary, litigation, and genral bulshit associated with riding on private land, just sort of renders it to hard. perhaps i just need to loosten up. and move into this century.I hope the twin shock class realy takes off, as it has in the east, i mean its a cheap days fun, without killing you,re self, on a modern machine. Cheers for now Andy

CUB
Junior participant
Junior participant

Re: Yamaha Majesty 250 replica frames

Postby CUB » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:57 pm

hi david its richard here the guy who bought the ty off andy,i would be very interested in the majesty frame proposition could you let me know when you get a more acurate price thank mate.

littelm3
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Yamaha ty 250
Club: tri state trailers

Postby littelm3 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:21 am

I would be intrested in a frame kit as well they are rare in the USA as well

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:48 pm

littelm3 wrote:I would be intrested in a frame kit as well they are rare in the USA as well

littelm3, those postings above are from 2006. A lot of things have happened since then, including two different UK based frame-makers making replica 250/320 Godden Majesty frames as a commercial operation. They were both successful in selling as many frames as people wanted to buy at the time.
I haven't heard of anyone making more of those frames lately.

relax, nothing is under control

littelm3
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Yamaha ty 250
Club: tri state trailers

Postby littelm3 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:10 am

if you know how I can get one I sure be appreciate it.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”