Vans and bikes and camping

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Beta 80 Senior (2023
Club: TCV

Vans and bikes and camping

Postby Dr Peter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:33 pm

I should have paid more attention to what was in the carpark at my last trial but I didn't.

What vans are people using to transport their bike or bikes to an event where they will be camping overnight?

I wonder what is the smallest vehicle people use and is this a good daily drive also?

Peter

eagle
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Honda tlr 250
Club: oakleigh

Re: Vans and bikes and camping

Postby eagle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:04 am

I'm a pretty basic type bloke who used to just camp in the tent & have the bike on the back of Ute, but once i got to about 60 i though a Van would be the go. I ended up buying a 1999 Toyota Hi Ace Van with 164,000 Klm on the clock in pretty good nick, it came with a bed the owner had made up that comes apart in about 5mins & takes up minimal space, when i go to Glenmaggie & my partner is coming i use this set up & i have the fold out awning, table & minimal cooking gear. If i'm going on a weekend ride buy myself i just take the Aldi single blow up bed instead, i've done about 4 weekend trail ride this year, i also have an Aldi 12v plug in cooler for my Milk etc, plus i have a 2nd battery with a 4 outlet hooked up to it, this is set up so the battery doesn't drain the main battery, i also have some LED strip light that i hook up to the second battery, i suppose i could have more ? but this is all i need .

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

Postby outforfun » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:18 pm

I'm very basic when it comes to camping with my trials bike for the weekend.

I throw a mattress in the back of the ute and the bike goes into the trailer. 2 burner gas cooker and food in the esky. I also park the ute under a 3X3 meter gazebo just to keep the heat off the back. I have a separate 12 volt battery for some LED lights.

Works for me.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:13 pm

Hyundai iLoad van. The turbo diesel version is powerful, heavy, rear wheel drive, reliable and light on fuel. Very good tow vehicle.
I usually tow an enclosed trailer for the bikes but two trials bikes fit inside the van if that's your thing.
It's a bit shorter in the load space floor length than a Vito. It fits in a normal car space at the shops and has a very tight turning circle.
I've just clocked up 250,000km and it hasn't missed a beat.
I've been sleeping in the van on a plywood shelf but since I fitted an ENGEL fridge into the van I'm finding that the noise of the fridge starting and stopping wakes me up

relax, nothing is under control

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:07 am

#TurnTheFridgeOffAtNight 8)

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:12 pm

PA wrote:#TurnTheFridgeOffAtNight 8)

That would work well in the middle of winter. This one is only an ENGEL. Years ago when we lived in a car we had an AUTOFRIDGE which only needed to run for 4 hours per day, so not a problem to turn it off even in summer

relax, nothing is under control

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Thanks for the word about ute camping. I have a uteswag on my Falcon ute which is great bit of kit but means a trailer:

https://www.4blok.com.au/ute-swag-holde ... -camping-t

Happy to give the guy a plug.

However, I am downsizing my life and with only one vehicle allowed and trailers awkward I need to translate my car, ute and trailer into a single vehicle which allows me to camp. Hence, thinking about vans.

Will follow up the iLoad.

Peter

Dr Peter
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Dr Peter » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:44 pm

For reasons relating to what I am allowed to lease via my salary the iLoad is too commercial a vehicle. A lower payload, under a tonne is possible. Looking at the stretched Renault Kangoo (the maxi or the crew). Any thoughts. Drives nice.

Return to “Trials Talk”