Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Guy53 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:44 pm

David, I'm not familiar with the 175, but do you think the casing be strong enough not to crack with the strain put on the kickstart so far away ?
Guy

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:38 am

Guy53 wrote:David, I'm not familiar with the 175, but do you think the casing be strong enough not to crack with the strain put on the kickstart so far away ?
Guy

Yes I think it would be fine. The casing has a wide steel bush for the kick shaft and the kick shaft is relatively large diameter and well made. The return stop on the kick shaft sometimes slips but this modification would not increase the load on the stop. The photos don't show enough to be certain, but this modification may even prevent the casing being damaged if the return stop does slip.

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Re: TY175 kickstart option

Postby David Lahey » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:45 pm

David Lahey wrote:There is a very interesting looking TY175-based bike advertised for sale on facebook. Amongst other things it has an interesting custom made frame, but the thing that really caught my eye was the kickstart. I hadn't thought of doing it this way

Guy here are photos of a standard :yamaha TY175 clutch cover and the YZ125C clutch cover that is fitted to the TY175 with the extended kickstart shaft in my previous photos. The cover on the bike with the extended shaft also has a steel bush but it has a shoulder on the inside, which I figure probably makes it even stronger.
Sorry Greg Harding the silver platter from Chippy hasn't turned up yet so the background is an old shirt and my bike bench. surely that's a bit better than PFFFT! newspaper?
Attachments
IMAG6693.jpg
IMAG6693.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 4850 times
IMAG6695.jpg
IMAG6695.jpg (966.34 KiB) Viewed 4850 times

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

TY Yamaha clutch cover oil pump hole

Postby David Lahey » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:23 pm

When you remove the oil pump from a TY250 or 175, you need to seal off the hole somehow. On many bikes now, I've made a small flat aluminium plate and a gasket and held it on using the screw holes that normally hold the pump on. The photo shows a TY175 cover that has had the oil pump removed and part of the gasket is still there.
A few weeks ago I bought a TY175 clutch cover and whoever had removed the oil pump from it had blanked the hole much more simply than the flat piece of aluminium method. They had simply fitted a 14mm welsh plug into the hole. Welsh plugs are readily available and pretty cheap.
Attachments
IMAG6697.jpg
IMAG6697.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 4840 times

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

KT250 clutch pull

Postby David Lahey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:42 pm

IMAG6721.jpg
IMAG6721.jpg (959.38 KiB) Viewed 4530 times

This photo illustrates one the top secret things I'm doing in preparation for the :kawasaki KT250 clutch pull competition with Greg Harding and Chippy and anyone else silly enough to join us.
The clutch lever with GB's on it has the holes 20mm apart and the other one from a :suzuki RM80X has the holes 30mm apart.
How wonderful it is also to be able to see a reflection of the wonderful western evening sky at Wurdong Heights, by courtesy of a suitable receptacle that appeared in our mail delivery today. Thankyou Chippy.

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:14 pm

So David, can I enter my Sherpa in this clutch pull competition? There is a big difference between those two levers. I know which one I`d prefer. That`s why I still stick with the Amals on all of my :Bultaco: s. Much better leverage.

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Flying Lumps Of Grass!

Postby Greg Harding » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi Everyone,
David Lahey wrote:
1551255129681.jpg
1551255129681.jpg (76.04 KiB) Viewed 4451 times

This photo illustrates one the top secret things I'm doing in preparation for the :kawasaki KT250 clutch pull competition with Greg Harding and Chippy and anyone else silly enough to join us.

Well seeing as we are not sharing the top secret things we are doing, I won't share mine either. If we were, it might be interesting to see the different ways we do things and how we approach the problem from different angles.
Just guessing about the silverware, looks great and they are an excellent utensil for displaying things, don't look here:
1551254654951.jpg
1551254654951.jpg (180.2 KiB) Viewed 4451 times

So much better than without the silverware :
1551254786519.jpg
1551254786519.jpg (198.04 KiB) Viewed 4451 times

OK, so now I am guessing you are wondering what baby chick's have to do with levers, am I right?
Let me explain it in uncomplicated terms, now I have gone to a Double Bogey:
1551254754110.jpg
1551254754110.jpg (124.6 KiB) Viewed 4451 times

It is an improvement over the single Bogey as I can now use more than one finger. Traditionally the longer the lever, the more that can be achieved. The same can be said for the longer the Bat, the greater the distance! You guessed it I am testing another
theory.

We have known for a long time that if you FLOG a little piece of Insignificance with a Bat, generally speaking the longer the Bat, the further it goes and a Bag of Bats of differing lengths gives you a Bat for every occasion. So now that you are clear on the levers, you are probably wondering about the.baby chicks?

If you are a Flogger, you will be aiming for a Birdie, an Eagle, Albatross, Ostrich or if you are a real dreamer like me, a Condor after you yell Fore but you should never aim for a Caddie, especially yours!!

Every now and then, someone looks at what is going on and wants a change and even the length of the Bat has been varied. I think it was Ms or Mrs Ambrose that came up with the Broomstick Bat, a little left field as it is long, perhaps the longest and is used for Short distances like Putting. She was Social and enjoyed quick games, maybe because she had to go back to cleaning???? Let's face it, Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbiden is/was a contentious Rule that was around for a long time and may have upset more than just a few Ladies?

What do you think?

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Clutch lever selection

Postby David Lahey » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:00 pm

While we are considering the design of clutch levers, surely a lighter clutch lever would improve the steering of a trials bike by reducing the moment of inertia of the front end.
This wonderful Australian product from the 1970s sold in huge numbers for a while and lived up to the promise of being unbreakable, which was important from what I remember of riding in the 1970s I seemed to think it was a good day if I only crashed a few dozen times attempting some monster hillclimb.
So if it only weighs about half of what a beautiful Ballard's lever weighs, why did we go back to using aluminium alloy levers?
Attachments
IMAG6737.jpg
IMAG6737.jpg (859.23 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
IMAG6738.jpg
IMAG6738.jpg (882.78 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
IMAG6739.jpg
IMAG6739.jpg (904.84 KiB) Viewed 4360 times

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Postby Rod » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:56 pm

Plastic levers, didn't they suck. No feel, too flexible.
I put up with them for over a year on my Cota 123 in the '70s because my Dad couldn't afford amal levers and perches as fitted to Bully's. I'm left mentally scarred for life by the experience, the original welded on jobs of the Cota 123 were better.

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:34 pm

I can remember when the hot setup on any dirt bike was a set of plastic levers and some new hex grips! Both would have to be the worst things ever made I reckon. The hex grips were very big and not round and the plastic levers felt horrible and they broke very easily. I tried them both once for a very short time and then took them both off and threw them away!

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”