TY 250 B reed valves

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

GSX 1300R
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 1975 Yamaha TY 250 B
Club: Shoalhaven Classic

TY 250 B reed valves

Postby GSX 1300R » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:55 am

Installed Hi Tech carbon fibre reeds to ty250b They don't want to sit flat on rubber sealing surface Can I remove rubber surface and fit them ? Any advice would be much appreciated cheers

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: TY 250 B reed valves

Postby David Lahey » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:26 am

There was discussion on this subject a few weeks ago on Trials Central. One person said that back in the day they used to carefully remove the protruding rubber when they fitted composite reeds, but didn't remember how they did it.
I bought Boyesen dual stage reeds for a TY250 motor many years ago but was not happy when they didn't sit flat, because of the rubber pushing on them. I rode it like that for a while then refitted the standard reeds and later gave the composite reeds to a friend.
The protruding rubber should be able to be removed and leave a smooth flat surface using a surface grinder, taking fine cuts and using coolant. Another method would be to attach a sheet of fine wet and dry abrasive paper to a very flat surface and water to keep the rubber particles from clogging the wet and dry.

relax, nothing is under control

GSX 1300R
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 1975 Yamaha TY 250 B
Club: Shoalhaven Classic

Re: TY 250 B reed valves

Postby GSX 1300R » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:47 pm

Thank you David For now I have refitted OEM reids which sit flat I have a spare C model reid block which I am thinking of modifying as your suggestion cheers

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”