The art of stationary balancing

The place to discuss your riding techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:14 pm

Ok Guys,

I must add to the Post I started after months....... of experience!!

I’ve learnt two methods to stationary balancing. One of which falls in line with the above. But I have noticed that I’m sometimes better at one or the other method on different days. But I don’t know why this is.

I agree that if you want to balance using peg pressure and body weight than it’s best to keep the weight off of the bars as described.
But in Ryan Youngs DVD he’s does not recommend the method of using peg pressure or body weight. He starts with the steering half turned (from mid to full lock to the side of the “peg to be mounted last”) and then twitches the steering in the direction of fall, to counter balance that fall. You keep your body weight dead still with this method and a good deal of weight on the bars. – Sounds crazy but it does work.

Yes, I find that Revving the engine helps on “balancing from a rolling stop”
And looking ahead at a vertical line works for “peg pressure and body weight” method but not so well for “twitching the steering” method.
And both brakes applied for works for “peg pressure and body weight” method but only the rear brake for “twitching the steering” method.

I don’t get any sense of achievement balancing on dirt or with my front wheel in a ditch anymore - too easy!. So for stationary balancing it’s got to be a concrete floor and I recommend the following additional things:-

1. Only ever stick your leg out to counter balance as a last resort.
2. Start off by letting the air out of the rear tyre then put back 1psi at a time as you get better.
3. A real key to this, is how precisely you keep your balance while mounting that second peg.
4. Practise for at lest 20mins EVERY flipping night!!

Best of balance guys (and BJ !).

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

restoremaz
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby restoremaz » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:18 pm

good post, i just got my first trials bike ( an old ty) this week, and have read this thread with great interest, thanks for all the tips. :thumb:

TY80 a model side cover and air box tube wanted.

My videos www.youtube.com/restoremaz

N*A*M
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby N*A*M » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:21 pm

i took all of your advice and with renewed enthusiasm worked on balancing with the engine off. it finally clicked and i managed to do a personal best of over 3 minutes with hands on the bars, and over 1 minute with hands off. i'm still a little inconsistent with getting my feet of the ground smoothly to start with. but i'm just stoked that i'm making some good progress.

RandallG
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby RandallG » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:36 pm

I have read this string with interest as I am just getting back into trials riding after a 30 odd yr break as well. Have recently purchased a Honda TLM200 and am starting off with basic balancing techniques. I recall being able to stay focussed and balanced for as long as I wanted to back then when I owned a Montesa Cota 123. (1973).....its a tad harder now and it would apppear that I may have to put in some hard practice yards before it "all comes back to me". :D

I live in Brissy and am wondering if there was any like minded riders around in the older vintage group who would be interested in hooking up for some weekened trials adventures. I really have no idea whats out there and even if 50 yr old blokes still get into this sport.

Look forward to accessing this site regularly and learning from it.

Congradulations to the forum owner/moderator for an exception resource. Good work!!!!

Randall.
Attachments
P7310001.JPG
P7310001.JPG
My Honda. It`ll do for now.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:51 pm

Randall

There are plenty of 50 year old blokes getting back into riding trials and during the riding season there are plenty of events (practice days, training schools, competitions) in the Brisbane area where you can enjoy riding your TLM. It's usually a bit quiet from now till February though.

Have a look in the "Clubs" and "Newsletters" sections of this website for Brisbane area club contact details. There are four trials clubs in the Brisbane area.

Here in Central Queensland this year we have seen quite a run of middle aged blokes and women starting up riding trials (again).

Regards
David

richardr
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gas gas TXT 250

Interested in weekend rides?

Postby richardr » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:28 pm

Hi Randall,

I have recently come back to trials competition after being out of the sport for 30 years. I need all the practice I can get and I am interested in meeting up with others like yourself who just want to get together to exchange tips and practice on weekends during the off-season.

I am located 87km south west of Toowoomba, but would be willing to travel closer to Brisbane to meet up with others and ride.

Does anyone know of a property that is challenging and available to practice on?

RandallG
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby RandallG » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:56 pm

David Lahey wrote:Randall

There are plenty of 50 year old blokes getting back into riding trials and during the riding season there are plenty of events (practice days, training schools, competitions) in the Brisbane area where you can enjoy riding your TLM. It's usually a bit quiet from now till February though.

Have a look in the "Clubs" and "Newsletters" sections of this website for Brisbane area club contact details. There are four trials clubs in the Brisbane area.

Here in Central Queensland this year we have seen quite a run of middle aged blokes and women starting up riding trials (again).

Regards
David

Thanks for the advice David, I will have a look around for a local Trials club and take it from there.

Randall.

RandallG
Junior participant
Junior participant

Re: Interested in weekend rides?

Postby RandallG » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:03 pm

richardr wrote:Hi Randall,

I have recently come back to trials competition after being out of the sport for 30 years. I need all the practice I can get and I am interested in meeting up with others like yourself who just want to get together to exchange tips and practice on weekends during the off-season.

I am located 87km south west of Toowoomba, but would be willing to travel closer to Brisbane to meet up with others and ride.

Does anyone know of a property that is challenging and available to practice on?

Hi Richard and thanks for your reply. I know where Millmerrin is, I have customers out there, power station being one of them.
Millmerrins rather a flat landscape for trials riding so I understand why you need to find "Lumpier" ground. :D I too would like to find out if there is a property somewhere that I could practice on. I dont know where one can ride now legally? I used to just take off in my local bushland but I expect that is not allowed? Do the cops police local bushland in Brissy ?

Thats a pretty flash looking bike you have Richard....kinda puts my old TLM to shame :D

Randall.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:38 pm

A very nice bike Randall! It's been a long time since I've seen a Honda like that....

Feet up, as always!

picktas
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Ossa
Club: TMTC

balancing

Postby picktas » Wed May 02, 2007 12:23 pm

hi guys

you turn your wheel on a 45 degree angle and turn the wheel slightly left if yuo have lost balance to the left and right if you have lost it to the right. it is not all body movement.

Regards
Picktas

Return to “Trials Tips & Techniques”