Custom twin shock

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Custom twin shock

Postby BJ » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:15 pm

Ok, looks like I might have bought a modern style bike.....not telling what just yet.

But as a project, I thought I might build a twin shock out of bits from early 80's bikes with a few mods to the frame and tank etc.. All the parts inc motor would be post classic other than maybe replacement rear shocks......

The question is??? Is it in the rules to do a special twin shock?

Bruce

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:02 pm

Bruce
Current rules are that it would have to have been '"designed and manufactured before 31 December 1986" and that disc brake models were not eligible.

I reckon that if in 2004 or 2005 you put together a bike from parts made before 31 December 1986, it really wasn't designed before 1987 so it is not eligible. However if you had put the same bike together in 1985 and stored it in a shed since then, it would be eligible for twinshock.

Your question had me thinking about whether a 1985 TY250N (drum braked) monoshock would be eligible because it seems to meet the requirements despite it not having twin shocks.

David Lahey
Gladstone

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:51 am

Bruce
If a trials bike was made recently using post-classic parts, I'm pretty sure there would be no issues or objections unless it was perceived by other competitors that the rider was getting some major advantage by riding that bike compared with bikes made pre 1987.
There are already some highly modified/modernised bikes used in twinshock competition but as far as I know no-one is complaining mainly because the riders who use these bikes tend not to be the ones who win the events.
It certainly would be a fun project to make up a composite bike yourself. I have had a design in the back of my mind for a while now and have the bits I need but with the demands of a young family mean it is a few years off yet.
David Lahey
Gladstone

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Design or Redesign

Postby BJ » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:49 am

Thanks for the info

What i had in mind :idea: was starting with a Monty 348-9 or the like, swapping in front forks from a H7 enduro or Cappra (some work on springs and dampers) and running larger front brake hub. Replacing the tank and seat with something smaller and playing with the rear shock set up. It is likely the headstem would need to be replaced with the one that went with the forks and the angle would be changed to take the longer travel front. I am sure this could be termed as repairs :wink: Or I might go the other way and just put a smaller tank on a H7 and detune the motor lower the seat height and spring it up a bit :?: Could be a great way to get rid of the spares that will never be needed. If all else fails the wife can ride it!

Return to “Technical help”